KIPP DuBois Collegiate Academy will provide students with a relevant, exciting and individualized learning environment, allowing students to emerge with the critical thinking, global vision and knowledge of self necessary to succeed in college, the competitive world beyond and be leaders in their communities.
- 5070 Parkside Avenue • Philadelphia, PA 19131 PHONE: 215.307.3465 SCHOOL LEADER: Melissa Poorman
Beliefs and Values
Our values include: Leadership, Love, Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility (both individual and collective).
In addition to our values, KIPP DuBois upholds the following beliefs:
- We believe that education is the pathway to freedom.
- We believe that Knowledge is Power.
- We believe that all of humanity is connected through an interdependent relationship.
- We believe that all people have a collective responsibility to care for and improve our world.
- We believe that all humans have the ability to learn, develop and actualize.
- We believe that in order to effectively create change we need to educate the whole child.
- We believe that all people are inherently good.
- We believe that one’s circumstance does not need to determine their trajectory.
Nationally, KIPPsters are four times more likely to graduate from college than our peers. KIPP DuBois offers a college preparatory education; all classes are aligned to College Readiness Standards. Additionally, all students will take at least one Advanced Placement course. KIPP DuBois complements rigorous academics with a wide range of extracurricular opportunities, students participate in internship and mentorship programs, college readiness seminars, and visit a number of area colleges during the school year.
"Mrs. Harron was an amazing teacher because she didn’t look at me differently despite my disability—she believed that I could do great things and I had her full support. She was my teacher, but I looked at Mrs. Harron as my second mom too."
— KDCA Student, Class of 2016
"Ms. Doggett cares about how I feel and always gives me the space to collect myself when I need it. On top of that, she seems to be everywhere. She shows her love for the school and puts a lot of energy into making everything right."
— Zaire Avant, Class of 2018
"Ms. Messina is very kind, considerate, and is very connected to her students. She is always available for advice or help. She is a very upbeat, funny and outgoing, teacher, who has a very close bond with her students, and makes learning a wonderful and entertaining experience for all of us. She is the teacher who we all look forward to seeing every day."
— Teyvon Evans, Class of 2020
"Ms. Wilson has taught me for 2 years now, and I honestly don’t think I’d be where I am right now in my life without her. She is intelligent, empathic, humorous, and exceedingly passionate about her subject and her students. I would and do tell other people that she is the most unique teacher I have met. She has the most uncanny ability to point out the root of any problem so that you can solve it. She has impacted my life in many ways, but mainly by being my mentor, my teacher, and my friend."
— KyReem Reams, Class of 2018